MA071 & MA072 UNITS 1 & 2: GENERAL MATHEMATICS
Rationale: This course has been designed for students preparing for work in a service industry, banking or an administrative or clerical job. The content provides sufficient grounding for students wishing to undertake Further Mathematics Units 3 & 4 as preparation for further studies in such areas as Business Studies, Economics, Social Science or Biological Science.
Areas of Study will be chosen from
- Statistics – Univariate + Bivariate
- Linear Equations
- Linear Graphs and Modelling
- Shape and Measurement
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Financial Arithmetic
- Number Patterns and Recursion
Outcomes: Students should be able to:
- Define and explain key concepts in relation to the topics from the selected areas of study and apply a range of mathematical routines and procedures.
- Apply mathematical processes in non-routine contexts and analyse and discuss these applications of mathematics in at least three areas of study.
- Use technology to produce results and carry out analysis in situations requiring problem-solving, modelling or investigative techniques or approaches in at least three of the areas of study.
Assessment: S or N based on the demonstrated achievement of the outcomes specified above. In addition, a level of achievement A+ to E or N will be reported based on results obtained in assessment tasks which include assignments and homework, tests and an exam for each unit.