HH033 UNIT 3: AUSTRALIA’S HEALTH IN A GLOBALISED WORLD
Rationale: This unit looks at health, wellbeing and illness as multidimensional, dynamic and subject to different interpretations and contexts. Students look at the fundamental conditions required for health improvement, as stated by the World Health Organisation (WHO). They use this knowledge as background to their analysis and evaluation of variations in the health status of Australians. Students look at health promotion and improvements in population health over time. Students look at various public health approaches and models and evaluate health programs. While the emphasis is on the Australian health system, the progression of change in public health approaches should be seen within a global context.
Areas of Study
- Understanding Health and Wellbeing
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing
Students should be able to:
- Explain the complex, dynamic and global nature of health and wellbeing, interpret and apply Australia’s health status data and analyse variations in health status.
- Explain changes to public health approaches, analyse improvements in population health over time and evaluate health promotion strategies.
HH034 UNIT 4: HEALTH AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT
Rationale: This unit examines health and wellbeing and human development in a global context. Students investigate health status and burden of disease in different countries. Students study the concepts of sustainability and human development. They consider the health implications of increases globalisation and worldwide trends relating to climate change, digital technologies, world trade and mass movement of people. They focus on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the work of the World Health Organisation (WHO). Students investigate the role of non-government organisations (NGOs) and Australia’s overseas aid program.
Areas of Study
- Health and Wellbeing in a Global Context
- Health and Sustainable Development Goals
Students should be able to;
- Analyse similarities and differences in health status and burden of disease globally and the factors that contribute to differences in health and wellbeing.
- Analyse relationships between the SDGs and their role in the promotion of health and human development and evaluate the effectiveness of global aid programs.
Assessment for Units 3 & 4: S or N based on the demonstrated achievement of the outcomes specified for the unit.
- Unit 3 School-Assessed Coursework: 25%.
- Unit 4 School-Assessed Coursework: 25%
- Units 3 and 4 examination: 50%