Rationale: The English language is central to the way in which students understand, critique and appreciate their world and to the ways in which they participate socially, economically and culturally in Australian society. The study of English encourages the development of literate individuals capable of critical and imaginative thinking, aesthetic appreciation and creativity.
UNITS 3 & 4
Areas of Study
- Reading and Creating Texts
- Analysing Argument
- Reading and Comparing Texts
- In this area of study students identify, discuss and analyse how the features of selected texts create meaning and how they influence interpretation. Students will be able to read and respond to texts both analytically and creatively.
- Students analyse and compare the use of argument and language in texts that debate a topical issue.
- On completion of this unit the student should be able to produce a detailed comparison which analyses how two selected texts present ideas, issues and themes.
- On completion of this unit the student should be able to construct a sustained and reasoned point of view on an issue currently debated in the media.
Assessment: S or N based on the demonstrated achievement of the outcomes specified above.
School-Assessed Coursework and examination
- Unit 3 School-Assessed Coursework: 25%
- Unit 4 School-Assessed Coursework: 25%
- End of year examination: 50%
Texts: These will need to be purchased from the booklist.